Associate Director, Experience Design (archived)
We are looking for an accomplished Associate Director, Experience Design to join our fast-growing international team in our new studio in London. A hands-on leader, who will guide teams and stakeholders to achieve outstanding results through Design. You’ll be a champion for solid design methods & practices and accomplished at industrializing beautiful, high-quality outcomes balanced with business rigour.
This role requires significant design leadership experience and the ability to shape and lead new client engagements, nurture and coach design studio talent, whilst working closely with business leads to operationally manage performance and growth of the UK team.
A designer by heart, what really excites you is problem solving and delivering innovative technology solutions that create value for people and organisations.
As an Associate Director at intive, your role will be to inspire teams to conceive, design and communicate outstanding user experiences that will deliver inspiring digital products and services from across a variety of platforms from web & mobile, connected devices to equipping client organisations with the capability to move forward through applied Design techniques.
You will take ownership of driving the design business as well as the digital experience response for client problems, working as part of a cross-functional team with Sales, Product management, Software engineering and Business stakeholders in an open collaborative manner. Together with design and development teams you will direct and set the experience outcomes in-line with human needs, strategic vision and technology constraints that pave the success of your solution.
From day one, you will be part of shaping a fresh new team, developing the studio capabilities and culture from the ground-up with an opportunity to define its direction, and work on some emerging opportunities across Digital products + Services, Voice UI, Cognitive and Platform experiences to HMI design.
By nature, we are enablers, visionaries, pattern-finders and craftspeople. If that describes you too, then by all means, get in touch - we’d love to work with you.
You are a good match if you:
• Solid Design leadership experience leading Product teams and account engagements as well as direct reports in iterative agile processes (Lean, Scrum, Kanban). Strong ability to lead and shape talent careers and motivate individuals to execute their best and flourish.
• Have a proven track record of designing and shipping successful product experiences through balancing business, technology and end user objectives.
• Have exposure to driving commercial and operational business management decisions and needs – and requisite skills in analytical assessment and management of a growing Design Studio.
• Can demonstrate a well-rounded Design portfolio for web, mobile interfaces, smart devices and wearables across a breadth of business sectors.
• Are a natural problem-solver and systems-thinker who is able to communicate the reasons behind design decisions. Ability to explore and test a breadth of approaches in developing solutions for clients and teams.
• Extensive experience in working through end to end design processes. You can effortlessly navigate and frame topics as well as assemble activities to drive high quality outcomes.
• A master in the art of persuasive storytelling and communication. You are a strong communicator both written and oral advanced English, and able to rationalise and articulate design decisions conceptually and strategically.
• Are able to easily find your place in a cross-disciplinary teams as well as operate individually as a expert. Your comfortable forming rapport and can lead clients effectively.
• Can push creativity and challenge established thinking, always respecting other views and encouraging constructive feedback from both customers and colleagues.
• Show strong interest and have knowledge of latest design and technology trends and emerging methods/practices - from Design strategy, Service Design to Mixed Reality, AI, Connected systems etc.
• Relationship management skills to work with clients and other key stakeholders throughout projects, ensuring buy-in for design directions and gaining trust
• Ability to communicate and define project roles as far as design teams members are concerned, with clear responsibilities and expectations to team members throughout the project and build their confidence in where the project is going
• Proactively manage intive stakeholders, specifically Client Principals and Delivery teams engaged with other aspects of the client's business on the impact of experience design deliverables and manage project scope, risks, and updates to the broader client team
• Have a driven, creative, efficient and openly collaborative mindset.
• Deeply understand the latest trends, processes and practices across industries.
• Can distill simplicity from complex systems and quickly create a range of engaging, elegant, easy-to-use and technically-feasible ideas for a global audience
• Have the ability to work precisely under pressure and within tight deadlines in a fast-paced and international environment.
• Able to zero-in on design detail and push work from good to awesome.
• Are an entrepreneurial self-starter who is self-motivated and directed, but also a team player with a low-ego approach and professional presence.
You get extra points for:
• Experience of working on global brand projects
• Solid pitch and business development experience
• Award winning work and portfolio.
• Demonstrable Strategic Design and commercialisation skills.
• Experience working in the Tech arena.
• Outstanding skill in storytelling and visual communication.
• Active in industry wide/ Design community thought leadership, writing and engagement with industry related topics and events.
• Can speak German, Polish or French
You will be responsible for:
• KPI driven leadership, structuring and directing and development of a growing design team.
• Shaping approaches to client engagements and solutions in response to briefs and opportunity development supporting the Leads as well as contributing individually when required. Lead pitch and proposal delivery to the highest calibre, accompanying sales support activity in winning and developing new business for intive.
• Mastering relationships as a natural leader - you will possess effortless ability to command a room with inspiring conviction and facilitate engagements, working sessions to successful results.
• Working with design leadership (VP, Directors) to craft, refine and communicate design strategy and vision across the global organization.
• Partner with global product, business and technical teams in an agile environment to deliver world class experiences to our customers. Leading teams to create, design and deliver value-driven concepts and solutions as part of a cross-functional agile Design & Engineering team.
• Authoring and presenting high quality, impactful presentations for external and internal audiences.
• Seeking opportunities to make an impact through profile developing activity at conferences, publishing and thought leadership in Experience Design.
• Building strong relationships and operating rhythms with product management and engineering to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive and well-informed.
• As a hands-on leader in a small growing team, you won’t shy from rolling up the sleeves and leading from the front - generating detailed UX & UI artefacts from sketches, wireframes, prototypes, through to experience maps, user flows and interface design when needed.
• Analysing complex business and system problems and solve for them using appropriate tools and frameworks.
• Helping Product Leads and Product Owners define both long and short-term vision and roadmap for digital products and services. Can switch between contexts of craft and detail > strategic and systems thinking.
• Collaborating with various design disciplines and as part of a cross-functional agile product engineering team to problem solve design challenges and maintain a level of design consistency across products.
• Leading client workshops or design sprints with the help of design toolboxes and principles like Design Thinking, Lean UX etc.
• Working on a large variety of projects across a rich spectrum of market sectors and geographies.
• Guiding, mentoring and supporting Design team members through career development and quality goals.
What we offer:
• A career in an international and fast-growing company and innovative industry
• Challenging briefs for national and international leading customers
• A role with responsibilities and creative freedom at same time
• Being part of the journey of a fresh brand-new studio team in Central London and shaping outcomes with UK clients and briefs
• An inspiring office space with free barista coffee
• Access to a highly dynamic industry network and social events
• Individual training and education to improve your skills
• Competitive salary and benefits
• Flexible working
• Travel flexibility
• Comfortable office location: Paddington, London
In the meantime, grab another coffee and take a look at our company video.